And then it hit me:
- All 3 monotheistic world religions claim to have the true faith and that God has chosen them as opposed to any other religion.
- By definition, the majority of people / religions does not believe in what you are saying (the other faiths or non-believers).
- So there must be some justification as to how your monotheistic religion will still win in the end in order to inspire your people to spread this religion.
- There are two options on the table (correct me if I am wrong): either they must convince the 'non-believers' about the truth of religion a,b or c, or by forcing it onto them.
- Since most people tend to follow the beliefs of their parents, regardless of their inherent truth (if one of them were hypothetically to be true, the majority of the people will still believe in the other options), this convincing business will never happen.
- So a monotheistic must then either rely on subjugation of their opponents whenever they can get away with it actively or by believing in some apocalyptic event, which is violent by its very definition.
Would have been way more interesting if a muslim clergyman would have the guts to turn up for these debates:
ISLAM IS A RELIGION OF PEACE from Intelligence Squared US on Vimeo.