But how meaningful can a fast day be if we commemorate:
- the beginning of the destruction of a city that now, after so many years of exile, has become a city that is more vibrant than in biblical times (ever)?
- that Apostomus burned a Torah scrol, when we have had so many other book and Torah burnings at other times: why is this Torah different from all the other ones?
- that Moses broke the first set of tablets but we received a new set of Ten Commandments afterwards?
- that we were not able to sacrifice anymore in the Temple because there were no animals anymore: who needs animal sacrifices anyway?
- that an idol was placed in the Temple, but what does that matter if the Temple itself got destroyed anyway?