It was advertized like this:
Partial translation of the second advert:
‘Rescue the Children’ Convention with the participation of the Greats of the GenerationSince we now need one million pounds therefore the community is requested to join in with a minimum sum of £500 and it is possible to pay this in instalments up to two years
And everyone who donates the sum of £5,000 and above will receive a certificate of partnership signed by the important guests, Their Holinesses, the Lords, Rabbis and Teachers, Peace be to them and long good days.
- The big synagogue will be prepared with thousands of seats to accommodate the thousands of members of the community.
- The women’s synagogue will be open for men
- There will also be loudspeakers on the street
- We ask the community not to come with cars
- Due to lack of space, teenage boys and young boys will not be allowed in.
This is a translation of the Head Rabbi’s letter of support for the convention:
From His Honour the Genius Head of the Bet Din and leader of the flock, peace to him and to long and good daysTo participate in the convention ‘Rescue of the Children’
Rabbi MCE Padwa
Principal Rabbinical Authority of the Union of Orthodox Hebrew Congregations
35 Filey Avenue, London N16 6JJ
With the help of God, 5th day of Av, 5776, London (Tuesday 9 August 2016)
To our great pain, and our misfortune, our community finds itself in a terrible situation - seventeen of our pure and holy children where one of the parents, God rescue them, have gone out to an evil culture, and want to drag their children after them. This is a decree of shmad (lit. apostasy) and this situation has motivated our rabbis who are in Israel:
- His Honoured Holiness, our Lord, teacher and Rebbe of Viznitz, peace to him and to long and good days
- His Honoured Holiness, our lord, teacher and Rebbe of Slonim, peace to him and to long and good days, and
- His Honoured Holiness, our lord, teacher and Rebbe of Rachmastrivka, peace to him and to long and good days
It is incumbent upon every male of the town to come and join in personally in the convention and God should hear our outcry and it should fall in our hands to rescue the holy children from descending into ruin, Amen so be the will
Who signs in honour of this great deed
Moshe Chaim Efraim Padwa
Apparently, the event raised £ 600'000 (roughly 750'000 USD), which sounds like they are willing to spend lots of cash on lawyers, so that the ex-religious parent, who likely has little money if any, gives up their children quickly.
To me, it sounds like the parents should be rescued. From their belief that it is OK to alienate children from a parent, for religious reasons.
Some pictures of the event (from Jewish Daily News):