כי לא מחשבותי מחשבותיכם

כִּי לֹא מַחְשְׁבוֹתַי מַחְשְׁבוֹתֵיכֶם, וְלֹא דַרְכֵיכֶם דְּרָכָי

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Selected Kofer Posts

I thought I'd share some post links with you before I take off to Israel for a few days. Not all of them are koferdik, but nonetheless interesting kofer reading:

The Kvetch of the Kolel Wife (Life in Israel blog)
Instead of shortening hours for the overworked kolel wife, we should indeed be looking for a solution where the husband gets up his lazy bum to work for a living.

Getting over the joy of believing? (Jewish Atheist blog)
Losing belief can be like losing an abusive partner; emotions can endure against better knowledge.

Are people saying "I am spiritual" to just appear attractive? (Center for Inquiry)
One explanation why so many people are not honest enough to be agnostic.

A Creator God cannot be a Reasonable Explanation (Center for Inquiry)
Kiruv clowns preach otherwise, but really they have no better explanation for the universe.

Beliefs validate actions, actions don't validate belief (Thinking Bochur blog)
Good quote: "Religious people are religious because overall it works out for them. Then because it works out for them they validate it by convincing themselves it is true." The guy has great potential to become one of us.

See you again next week!

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link! And have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drop me a line while you're here, maybe we can get together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for providing this list, and thanks for including my article/post in it. I am glad you enjoyed it and I hope all your readers will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Thinking Bochur; agree with my observation?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not Orthodox, but I do absolutely believe in Hashem. I could not Not believe in Hashem.
    How about people like Victor Frankl, who survived the Holocaust. He talks about "logotherapy" but in some of the footnotes, etc. of one of his books, he basically admits he retained his faith in G-d throughout the Holocaust. It sounds like it was a conscious act of will. What do you think of that?
    Also have you seen Youtube videos of a guy called "TheRebShlomo" (I'm not talking about Shlomo Carlebach)? His concept of Hashem is bizzarre, and I cannot accept it personally.
    However, he seems to have (a form of) emunah.
    Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I will remain frum for a variety of reasons. Will I become an undercover koifer I don't know. Depends according to who. I guess some of the things which I think now, some people would definitely consider kefirah. Other's, ie Slifkin, would consider them just regular Orthodox with a brain in the 21st century, hashkafah.
    I am really not sure where I will end up. Right now I am thinking , and trying to keep an open and logical mind. Your blog contributes to that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks TB; this is one of the most beautiful compliments you gave me! Wishing you all the luck and strength, regardless of what you will decide. Take care, UK

    ReplyDelete