כי לא מחשבותי מחשבותיכם

כִּי לֹא מַחְשְׁבוֹתַי מַחְשְׁבוֹתֵיכֶם, וְלֹא דַרְכֵיכֶם דְּרָכָי

Monday, January 18, 2010

Mayseh Shehoyoh

Someone I know told me last Shabbos that he was approached by his neighbor the other day. She is a masseuse and not of the reputable sort, may I add.

She asked him: “May I ask you a delicate question? I get some customers that also have these white strings hanging from their pants. What are these meant for?”

My acquaintance managed to blurt out that this was to prevent them from sinning. He only realized how ridiculous that sounded once he already said it!

If there is a God, he certainly has a funny sense of humor :)

8 comments:

  1. Great story!

    >If there is a God, he certainly has a funny sense of humor :)

    Then why would he have made rabbis?

    ReplyDelete
  2. To increase peace in the world (harhar)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand that you're not sure in belief,
    but what about keeping mitzvos to help bring positive energy to the world - you might or might not make an impact, but it doesn't hurt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually the answer is complicated. I recall reading somewhere that non-Hasidim only started wearing their tzitzis out in the early part of the 20th century. So what happened then to bring this on?

    Ichabod Chrain

    ReplyDelete
  5. > but what about keeping mitzvos to help bring positive energy to the world - you might or might not make an impact, but it doesn't hurt

    What exactly is positive energy? Energy generated by protons instead of electrons?

    And it sure does hurt. You know how much kosher food costs? Even leaving the lights on for Shabbos costs. And that's not even considering the social costs that UK pointed out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. >but what about keeping mitzvos to help bring positive energy to the world

    I'm not a Buddhist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are used to string people along. I heard of a rosh yeshiva who is of the old school and told a student not to wear tzitzis out of his pants. The student protested that tzitzis are an important mitzvah. The R'Y said, so is brit milah.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YL: I remember the joke now, I still think it is really funny. So funny, I am pretty sure it is really old; in reality, this would not happen anymore.

    ReplyDelete